The European Commission (EC) launches the Knowledge Centre on Cancer, the first action under Europe’s Beating Cancer Plan. This is a new online platform, managed by the Joint Research Center (JRC), to collect evidence and coordinate actions against the leading cause of death among those under 65 years old in Europe.
According to the EC, the main tasks of this centre will be:
- Map and provide the latest evidence and statistics on cancer;
- Monitor cancer trends so that the effectiveness of preventive strategies and screening programmes can be evaluated;
- Provide European guidelines for cancer prevention, screening, diagnosis and care to improve cancer outcomes and reduce inequalities between EU regions;
- Help shape policies for cancer prevention related to the environment and healthy lifestyles, including tobacco and alcohol control;
- Identify research or policy gaps;
- Provide a space to coordinate many cancer initiatives on one platform;
- Help to reduce inequalities in cancer prevention and care across the EU.
For more information click on this link.